Thursday, September 30, 2010

35mm

This semester, I am taking a 35 mm class which has allowed me to get in touch with my roots and also have my first successes and failures using a wet lab! I have been using my grandmother's camera again which really has been a humbling experience in many ways. My appreciation for this fine art really has been rejuvenated as well as my style because of the heightened attention to detail needed to compose and create every image on a limited memory space. It really has been such an amazing experience to be able to become reacquainted with my first "baby" which is such a straight forward and simplistic piece of equipment that requires SO much more thought and technique to master. Here are a few of my scanned images up until this point in the semester.

The following photos were my first attempts at spotting, burning, and dodging in the the lab for my vantage point assignment.




This was for my assignment 'Photo of a Friend'. I shot some in digital but I must say, I am a fan of the film. The top is the one I turned in while the bottom two are ones I just loved and my teacher thought would be worth the time develop .




This photo was created from an overexposed negative. I was told not to waste my time because it would just frustrate me before or if I got the print correct. It was definitely worth my time :)


Last but not least, self portrait. My fundamentals teacher last year always told us to be conscious of everything put into our image because it can be both beneficial or detrimental and distracting if not positioned carefully or put in by accident. Every aspect of this photograph has an underlining meaning to indicate to the viewer what I am as of now. This has been my most difficult to create technique wise so far in the darkroom because of all the dodging and burning involved. I love the overall product and really feel it captured what I wanted to capture but is also open for interpretation. Interpret away :)


No comments:

Post a Comment